Friday, December 23, 2011

Training (b)Log

For the first time since I've started running I'm keeping (and keeping up with) a daily training log. There are plenty of obvious benefits to tracking your workouts i.e , keeping an eye on your progress, adding up your weekly miles, etc. but I wanted to highlight some of the less obvious and, for me, some of the most beneficial aspects of logging/blogging your runs:

Reflection: It only takes a second to jot down the time/pace/distance of your run.. But it's worth taking an extra minute to reflect on your overall experience. For me, the practice of stepping back and giving thought to what I've learned and gained on an everyday basis has added further value to my running.  While not every run needs to turn into an essay (a problem of mine...take a look at my training log and you'll see what I mean) adding a few standout details can turn a stack of data into a living, breathing, collection of memories.

Follow-through:  I usually end a log entry with my plans for the following day.  In the past I've had a problem with substituting tough workouts for easier ones (relaxed 3 miler along the Eastern Trail sounds more appealing than hill repeats on the Eastern Prom most days) postponing the hard workouts until...never.  Now, when I sit down to write, I'm immediately faced with yesterdays post (and the workout that I'm supposed to be logging).  This has added a level of personal accountability to my workouts and helped to develop the discipline of staying on program despite the variables that are sure to arise throughout the day.

Eliminating "Junk Miles": An ideal training week should include a few hard efforts (i.e speed work, hill repeats, a long run) balanced by a series of relaxed runs for both recovery and just plain enjoyment.  When the words "relaxed", "easy","moderate" and "slow" make up the bulk of your weekly log it's easy to see what's missing (and what adjectives need to be included in next weeks log to spice up the writing and help you reach your goals).

Inspiration: This one has to do with the benefits of keeping a public log/blog and it's ability to inspire others.  One of my greatest sources of inspiration is checking out the training blogs of friends and fellow runners. Learning that one of my friends was out in the cold morning rain or going long after a long day is a reminder of both our shared commitment and of the fact that some runs just plain suck...and yet we suck them up, run through them, and push ourselves to reach our goals. Sharing our challenges, occasional defeats, and personal victories with one another helps to build the type of community that extends beyond running.  And it seems that all of us who contribute to building this community gain as much as we give. 

So give the run,write,repeat formula a shot and, if it works for you, share it with somebody else.

Happy running from X-City!


No comments:

Post a Comment